The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Gwent Castles 09

Newport/Casnewydd
There are other Gwent Castles we could mention (Goodrich and Caldicot come to mind) but we'll finish with the first castle I ever saw. I grew up in Cwmbran but my parents were from Newport and we would often be there. I used to love to see the castle. To me it was like a time travel machine that had come from another age and parked itself plonk in the middle of everything. In those days you couldn't explore it and that probably added to the mystery and attractiveness of what I once read of as being "The finest preserved Norman gateway in Wales".

No comments: