The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past diary entry Jan 08 1994

"Not an over taxing day" it says (it was a Saturday). I'd read the papers, taken Rhodri for sweets, put up a poster, listened to a broadcast interview with Charlie Watts. Eleri had had a deserved sleep in the afternoon (a very rare thing even then). My father-in-law was with us in the evening and we had chatted until late, sermon preparation being under control it would seem. I took several phone calls and one person was obviously moaning at me for some reason but I was hoping in the preached Word.

No comments: