The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Past diary entry Jan 07 1994

Still at the Carey I was up a little late and decided on private devotions rather than the prayer meeting (always hard to call). Phoning home I was told there was snow (all gone by the time I got home later that day). Back at the Carey Bob Godfrey was excellent on women's ordination and Bob Sheehan on sanctification. Took the train home. Several at the station. Talked to Tim Mills en route. As we arrived at St Pancras I saw that the great Gordon Banks was also on the train. Back home put Rhodri (5) to bed then had a candlelit supper with Eleri. Worked on a sermon on Ephesians 6 until quite late. 

No comments: