The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Biographies of Christian Women

We've been doing some book shifting and for convenience I've put all the biographies of Christian women we have in one place. There are quite a few, which is good. I thought I'd try a list of just 10 here, most of which we have. You could add to it in the comments if you wish.


1. Susanna (Wesley) Arnold Dallimore
2. This Is My Story This Is My Song the autobiography of Fanny Crosby
3. By searching Isobel Kuhn
4. The hiding place (Corrie ten Boom) John and Elizabeth Sherrill
5. Joni Eareckson Tada Her Story an autobiography
6. Idelette ie Idelette de Bure wife of Calvin, Edna Gerstner
7. Selina: Countess of Huntingdon Faith Cook
8. Mrs C H Spurgeon Charles Ray
9. Anne Bradstreet Faith Cook
10. Elizabeth Prentiss: More Love To Thee Sharon L James


There are also Luther and his Katie by Donna MacCuish and Jonathan and Sarah an uncommon union by Edna Gerstner.

2 comments:

Catrin Lewis said...

Lady Jane Grey - Nine Day Queen of England, is another one of Faith Cook's biographies I have enjoyed. A great insight into Tudor life and the bravery of one woman.

Gary Brady said...

Thanks Catrin We've got that here. I have a book on the same period on the shelf on Katherine Parr (Brandon Withrow). I keep meaning to get around to reading it. Is there anything like that on Ann Boleyn?