The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Preaching Ephesians

We finished our studies in Ephesians last Sunday morning. This is the second time in my ministry here that I have tackled the book. I started this time about a year ago and I have  preached 33 sermons altogether. I broke off last summer and over Christmas and new year. We spent quite some time in the final chapter. I preached 11 sermons from it. This contrasts with Chapter 3 which I did in two bites. Thus the most verses dealt with in one sermon was 13 (3:1-13, 5:22-34) and the least half a verse (6:14b, 17a, 17b). It was typical for me to deal with between 3 and 8 verses. It's a great book full of doctrinal and practical matters from election to Christian warfare. It's been a blessing to preach it and, hopefully, to hear it.

2 comments:

MFH said...

Should we expect a book on the Epistle soon?

Gary Brady said...

No, there's enough on Ephesians out there. I don't think these will even qualify for my sermon blog.