The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

June Edition of the Banner

On May 17 the electronic edition of the Banner Mag for June quietly dropped into my mailbox. It's come so early that I didn't even look at it at first. Having done so I see it's full of interesting things.
We kick off with a brief bit of T V Moore on Christ's intercession (an appetiser for my book, perhaps). Then we have part 2 of Gary Benfold's helpful call to evangelistic preaching. Next comes the 1953 Evangelical Library Lecture by John Murray on Reformation Principles (not in the collected works). Another subject close to my heart is that of conscience. Joel Beeke has been researching this from a Puritan point of view and here we have part one of two instalments that will eventually appear, I believe, in a big book on Puritan Theology due out in August.
The piece de resistance is a brief but rapier like review of the book Engaging with Lloyd-Jones by Iain Murray. worth the price of the magazine by itself. He ends with this

We wish attention had been given to the words of Professor F. F. Bruce who was hardly a natural ally but was often with Lloyd-Jones. He wrote: ‘He was a thoroughly humble man. Those who charged him with arrogance were wildly mistaken. His confidence was based on the message he was commissioned to proclaim  ...  He was a man of prayer, a powerful evangelist, an expository preacher of rare quality, in the fullest sense a servant of the Word of God, verbi divini minister.' (Evangelical Quarterly 1991, 71).
PS The cherry on the cake is that they have put the news pages in single column so that when it goes on my kindle I'll still be able to read it. I think that's the first time they've done it. I wrote to them about it a month or two back and promptly forgot all about it. What good people they are  up at the Banner!

No comments: