The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Nigerian Wedding

It was great on Saturday to be at the wedding of one of the members of our congregation Yemisi as she married Emmanuel Akinfenwa. We have known Yemisi most of her life so it was a great joy to see. The wedding was at St Marylebone parish church (Emmanuel's dad is Archbishop of Ibadan - it was good to meet him and his wife) where I preached the homily then at the very swish One Mayfair. I have never seen bride and groom put on their own like this. Trends come and go I guess. Apparently it's called a sweetheart table. (I'd also not seen the throwing of the bouquet actually happen either). Emmanuel is a very talented guy. He not only sang but played saxophone too. We wish them every future blessing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Interesting! One of my Nigerian friend is getting married next month in one of the Seattle Wedding venues and I am excited to see his wedding because it is a lot very different than ours. I am very happy for him and it was great looking at this post.