The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Tom Conti Unbeliever

Tom Conti the actor must live somewhere round here. We see him around from time to time. I guess he's quite an intelligent man yet what nonsense he can talk. In an interview in the Daily Mail Weekend magazine I notice he is asked what figure from history he'd most like to buy a pie and a pint for. His answer?
"St Paul. He started Christianity by creating the myth of Jesus. I don't believe any of it, so I'd ask him why he made it up."
Yet at the same time he says he has a curiosity about quantum physics. "I'm deeply fascinated by how things work on a microscopic level - these things will lead us to extraordinary revelations."
So he presumably has access to Paul's letters but pins his hopes on quantum physics. If he just read the New Testament he'd surely see that what he says is nonsense. Or perhaps not.

No comments: