The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Steven Lawson

It was good to have the opportunity to hear Steven Lawson yesterday over at the Woodbridge Street Chapel over in Clerkenwell. I went for a number of reasons - to hear Dr Lawson who I have read but not heard. He was rightly basic but very good on expository preaching, perhaps best in answering the eager questions. I wanted to say hello to Tom Drion who is working hard church planting with others in a difficult area. I was sorry not to get to say hello to his wife Donna also. I was also curious to see who might be drawn to such a conference. Well, there were a lot of them (over a hundred), mostly under 40, ethnically diverse and 80% or more unknown to me. (Perhaps a large number were not pastors). I guess these are the new Calvinists we hear so much about (no slur on Jeremy Walker intended) . Most people I spoke to were aware of the event in connection with the Shepherd's Conference. The event was earmarked as a Ligonier and Good Book company event. That was my last motive - to get an eye at the books. I bought the Saving Eutychus, more as a souvenir than anything but I hope I'll read it. I notice that Dr Lawson now has a number of biographies out (I've only read the Calvin one). It was good to catch up with Ashley Jones from Caterham, a mere boy when I saw him last and (to this old man) not much more than that now. I had hoped to return in the evening but the exigencies of a hospital in North Acton visit meant it was not possible to get back in time. It was all duly recorded and will get to me at some point no doubt.

No comments: