The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christmas 1964

I have been trying to remember my childhood Christmases. In 1964 I must have been five. By this time we had moved into a new house across the road with the birth of my sister in the September. I have a handle on the date (I think) because of a particular car I recall.
 

 
On the bonnet it says Olympics 1964 Winter Sports (the Winter Olympics were in Innsbruck that year). Of course, I could have received it in '63 or '65 I guess but '64 seems right. Anyway, I remember opening it and several other presents in my little room at the front of the house. I also recall going to my parents' room across the landing and finding an already unwrapped space station USA set that was a joy for years to come. I distinctly remember touching the missile trigger not realising that it would shoot out as it did straight at my mother's head. I also remember my dad carefully applying the transfers to the rockets that afternoon using a bowl of hot water. The rocket launcher was hard to load but when the rocket came out it went up with such force it would thud into the ceiling. I'd forgotten about the platform next to the launcher in the picture. That didn't get used much after a while. (For a blog by someone on the rocket base see here).
 
 

No comments: