The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Things seen (again)

I dashed into a large shopping mall in London today packed to the brim. As I briskly walked along I saw a woman on her mobile phone. As I passed her I saw on her cheek one solitary glistening tear. Her face did not betray too much emotion but she was obviously receiving bad news - not news that made her burst into tears but something that made her weep. I don't know what it was, of course, but it reminded me of the sadness all around us in this world, deep seated sadness that is not easily removed. The jollity and festivity and everyone rushing around simply added to the isolation of the pain.

No comments: