The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 7 2014

At this time of the year I like us to sing the carols and to preach messages broadly in line with the Christmas message. What I though I would do this year is to take my messages from Paul's letters in the morning and from the prophets in the evening. So this last Sunday we looked in the morning at Colossians 1:15-20 and in the evening at Isaiah 60. That went okay, though it would have been nice to have some fresh visitors. As ever, some were missing, lots of colds about. We began the day with communion. I referred to the Saviour's bones being unbroken as prophesied.

No comments: