The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christmas 2014 - Preaching and evangelism

I decided to preach this Christmas from Paul's epistles in the mornings and the prophets in the evenings. I began with something from Colossians 1 and then moved to the more familiar Galatians 4:4 and 2 Corinthians 8:9. Similarly, in the evenings it was Isaiah 60 and then the more obvious Malachi 4:1-3 and Micah 5:2. Midweek I looked at the second part of Matthew 1 and at the people in the Christmas story. On Christmas Day I went rather unusually but appropriately to Job 42:11.
I also got to speak at two gatherings for the elderly, giving a gospel message. We distributed a few hundred copies of the Christmas Evangelical Times. A Hungarian man did come in on Christmas Day interested to know more. I gave him an English Bible and a John Blanchard booklet. I hope we see him again soon.

No comments: