The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Retro album of the week 5 - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale

We are still in the seventies, 1975 this time, as I wanted to mark the death of Edgar Froese.
I would have been 15 or 16 when I bought this album in its beautiful gatefold sleeve (probably new year '76 when I got hold of it with Christmas money so approaching 17). I had heard about Froese's first album (Aqua - the first of what would be five solo albums) when a friend pointed out a review in one of the music newspapers. I bought this album on the strength of that review really, not having heard it beforehand. I remember my dad being stunned when he learned that I had bought it unheard. I began to worry myself a little when I played it. There were just two long instrumental tracks, which is what I expected. It is not insistent music and so I would play it doing homework. The more I listened the more I liked it. It begins with some ambient-like sounds and then becomes more like a classical piece.
Apparently the first track was inspired by a visit to a Malaysian jungle (and is more mellotron based) and the second (Maroubra Bay) by a place in Australia (and is a more synthesiser-based piece). This second has a more jaunty Tangerine Dream like bit that is quite jaunty (from about 40 minutes in). Maroubra Bay was subsequently released backwards (unintentionally!). It doesn't sound any stranger and in fact makes for an interesting experience. 
The Epsilon album is well worth a listen but it takes a while. 

No comments: