The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Afrikaans

Every time I meet Afrikaans speakers, which I do from time to time and did again recently, I try to remember the sentence that is written the same in English and Afrikaans. In fact there are two sentences which I relocated today. Here it says
 
Most interestingly, consider these two sentences:
 
My hand is in warm water.
My pen is in my hand.
 
These two sentences can be either English or Afrikaans, and both have exactly the same meaning in both languages. But despite this, Afrikaans has significant differences from English. It might not be as easy to learn for an English speaker as, say, Esperanto, but it is still considered a relatively easy language to learn, and is advocated by some as a good introduction to learning Dutch and other Germanic languages in general.

No comments: