The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 14 2016

We had lunch together yesterday, which we do more or less every other month. Always a good time. We finished off with two brief testimonies - one from my wife and one from my fellow elder Robert (I had actually forgotten that we had started doing this and so my choices were partly to do with who I could lean on easiest). These fellowship lunches don't usually fall on half term as this time. The only snag with that was that more were away than might have been otherwise, although there were also visitors we know. One good thing was that we finally persuaded our Filipino contingent to join us for lunch, which was good.
Anyway in the morning we looked at Revelation 11 in the morning. It was quite demanding and I thought afterwards that I perhaps should have divided it up but there is no obvious way to do that except by covering the beginning and end first and then the material on the two witnesses but that brings its own problems. There we are.
In the evening we completed our study of the Judge Samson. Now matter how often you come back to it there are some real mysteries there. What a choice! Samson makes a strange choice for Valentine's day I guess. Five of the 25 with us Sunday evening are planning to get married this year so I made a point of praying for them at least, and I'm sure they will take warning from Samson foolishness.
It was one of those Sundays when having thought for a few weeks we were making progress I began to think again that we are actually not. That may well be just due to the make up of the congregation that Sunday but sometimes I do fear we are making less and less progress.

No comments: