The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, June 5 2016

We began with communion as we always do in a new month. I read from John 15 and focussed on Jesus's friendship towards us. I preached another text from Isaiah in the morning - Isaiah 57:15. It is a good text and I hope I made it clear. In the evening we looked at the final section of Matthew 8 and considered the demoniacs Jesus delivers at that time. Our numbers were up from last week though some were still absent. I made a mental note to myself that I must focus on who is there not on who is not there. The latter is counter-productive. I was also convicted about my lack of prayer - in general and in particular with regard to the meetings. Prayer is no doubt a large part of the battle.

No comments: