The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, July 17 2016

We're in the summer months now when people are coming and going and so I decided to drop our morning studies in Nehemiah now until Autumn. I preached on Isaiah 26:3, 4. I had preached on those verses six years ago but thought I'd come back to them again. One strange things is that whereas last time I preached it, I took half an hour but even having beefed it up for this time I was all done in under 25 minutes. There are lots of mysteries in preaching. (It is the shortest sermon I have preached this year. The longest came in at 46:12 and was on Rev I3. That's a whopping 22' 54" difference). In the evening I was again under half hour, preaching from Matthew 9:20-22. Before the evening meeting we met for communion. That was okay except we sang the wrong song. No problem, it was just as appropriate. Our numbers were not too bad at both services, though several are away.  We had one or two visitors of different sorts, including someone who had been only once before but has returned.

No comments: