The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 11 2016


We started on our Christmas sermons last Lord's Day. We began very gently with two unusual Christmas texts - Proverbs 8:30, 31 and Ephesians 1:3-6 (which wasn't very Christmassy at all). I think Proverbs 8 is a good place to go for knowledge of the pre-incarnate Christ (see my commentary). My best point in the evening was that God is the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. The evening sermon was one of those hymn packed pnes I give now adn again. I found this hymn by John Newton which I had never seen before.

1 Sweeter sounds than music knows, Charm me in Emmanuel's Name;
All her hopes my spirit owes To His birth, and Cross, and shame.

2 When He came the angels sung, "Glory be to God on high:"
Lord, unloose my stammering tongue; Who shall louder sing than I?
3 Did the Lord a man become, That He might the law fulfil,
Bleed and suffer in my room, And canst thou, my tongue, be still?

4 No; I must my praises bring, Though they worthless are, and weak;
For, should I refuse to sing, Sure the very stones would speak.

5 O my Saviour, Shield, and Sun, Shepherd, Brother, Lord, and Friend -
Every precious name in one! I will love Thee without end.

We started off the day with the seventh and last of the all age Sunday School meetings we have been having. I have gone through the statements on the church in the 1966 Affirmation.

No comments: