The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Midweek Meeting January 16 2018


Ten of us gathered on Wednesday (six men, four women) as we regularly do. It was a bit different in that someone else led tough I was present. This was because I had mistakenly booked two people to lead last week when I was away at Carey and it seemed a shame to waste that preparation. He used the study on Psalm 27 in Soul Songs by Tim Chester (see here) to lead an interactive Bible study in which all but one took part (their hearing is not too good). It was a useful and encouraging study but as is perhaps typical of such Bible studies it was a bit me centred and didn't really bring out Christ as is not difficult to do with that psalm once you ask how Christ may have used it. I led the prayer time. We prayed especially for former member now in ministry and other matters.

No comments: