The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Last Saturday


Last Saturday Eleri and I headed out to Primrose Hill, a short distance form home. We have this book at home that recommends buying a book at Primrose Hill Bookshop (on the 8th rather than the 19th but that is a nicety). Anyway I looked all around and I saw Bernhard Schlink's The reader in paperback. It didn't ring any bells at the time and Eleri had moved on to another shop. Anyway I don't like to read blurb and the first chapter was fine so I bought it. The first part is rather erotic and can't be recommended for that reason (I read it in tandem with three Christian books!). Once you get beyond that it is very interesting and thought provoking. Sadly, coming from the usual humanist point of view it is both immoral and rather depressing and offers no redemption that I could see. it is well written and has short chapters and so I finished it in a short time. I keep getting drawn back to books about the holocaust somehow. We went onto Primrose Hill and saw the Iolo Morganwg memorial (more on that here) and spotted the above plaques. I knew Rizal's name as I have been in the Philippines in the past. I bought a novel of his there (still unread sadly). We had a nice cuppa in Sweet Things.

No comments: