The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day June 2019


We began last Sunday with communion. We were about 16 altogether so that was encouraging. Others joined us for the main meeting and I preached on 1 Timothy 1:15 very evangelistically. It is one of the hundred texts. I think I have preached on it before but way back. In the evening I took another text, Deuteronomy 4:2, more difficult to handle usefully, but a good text. We were again around twenty. During the morning meeting there was a lot of off stage activity that I was aware of but not most of the congregation. What seems to have happened is that during the meeting a group of travellers turned up in eight caravans and parked themselves on a piece of waste ground next to the church. The kids were a bit wild. Late on in the morning an Irishman also turned up - I'm not sure if he is one of the travellers. We met him tracting in Golders Green the day before. He wanted to give us groceries in exchange for a cold drink. I did go over to speak to the travellers but there were not many around. The police were there. Never a dull moment in Childs Hill.

No comments: