The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 6 2019


Last Lord's Day began with one of those unlooked for moments when technology let me down, I write my sermons on my laptop and then transfer them to my kindle. That failed for some reason and so I was forced to lug tthe laptop to church. It is not a large machine but if I put it on the pulpit lectern it can be seen. Typically, when I was ready to start it had turned itself off and when I wanted to input my password, caps lock was on and wouldn't budge necessitating a slight delay. Anyway. we got through it not too distracted. I had chosen last Sunday as harvest  - that is when we sing the harvest hymns and I preach a suitable message - this time on Revelation 14. Before the service it was communion (I again used some useful notes from J C Ryle) and in the evening I preached on the cross from Matthew 27:32-38. It was good to see some missing people back in the morning but some are still astray. It is beginning to become clear who might come to us from the seminary.

No comments: