The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 45 2020

 


Having made a big dent on the big Unexpected History book by Wills and Daybell last week I sent for the other four smaller books they have and on Tuesday I read the one on The Tudors and most of the one on The Vikings. I thought I'd start with the one on the Tudors as that is probably the period of English history I know best. I enjoyed it. As for the Vikings I'm 20% or so Scandinavian and I have been enjoying a lot of Scandi TV recently so I thought that was the next best choice. I was slightly disappointed with this although its reliance on the sagas is very enlightening. I feel I got more from Silk Roads when I read it. Anyway, a nice day all told.

No comments: