The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day November 1 2020


Bit behind with this but we had last Sunday morning what we won't really be having for the next four Sundays - communion followed by a service in the chapel. In the evening we zoomed so that was as has been and will be. We were not many for communion but it was good to be together again. Hopefully we will be able to sit down together again on December 2. I felt the preaching am (from 2 Cor 11:1-15) went much better than last week. The passage was just as difficult but I was fortified by not wanting to flop again and a quote I came across from Kanye West (of all people). He has just discovered expository preaching (something I have been doing here for over thirty years). He describes it like this

... it's like one-to-one by the Word. I like all different kind of preachers but there are some type of preachers they get up, they have the bible in their hand, and they close the Bible and they just talk for two hours.
And some do have anointing, but expository preachers go line for line, and for me it’s like I come from entertainment. I got so much sauce, I don’t need no sauce on the word. I need the word to be solid food that I can understand exactly what God was saying to me ....

In the evening we were in Joshua 14 where we were looking at Caleb, a model of faith. A good Lord's Day to fortify us for the tough days ahead.

No comments: