The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

An illness


I am conscious that we are a bit behind with things here, which is not unusual but I am also struggling with ill health and so I'm not sure when we will get back up to date. May be I can find things in my drafts folder to tide us over. I've been able to establish that it is not covid and that is a relief. Whether I'd get through covid I'm none too sure, so it's good to be reminded of my mortality. The author of 2 Kings 13:14 has an interesting turn of phrase when he says "Now Elisha had been suffering from the illness from which he died. Jehoash king of Israel went down to see him and wept over him ...." There are illnesses and there are illnesses from which you die. I am thankful that this appears at least to be only an illness like many others I have experienced.
PS I did not realise a covid test will make you retch and sneeze. My ignorance.

2 comments:

Daf Williams said...

Praying for your speedy recovery Gary

Gary Brady said...

Thanks