The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 2 2021


Lots of people away today though the numbers were not too bad. Only four or five for communion, however. We were in chapel again in the morning and on zoom only in the evening. After last week's success with the subject of hope I was expecting to do well with love from 1 Corinthians 13. However, the sermon was overlong and ended wit a long and difficult point. I now see that I should have done the whole thing backwards, starting with the long difficult point and moving to the easier and more obvious material. My problems began with having an abundance of material available. Still learning. In the evening we looked at the closing words of Luke 6 and that went better. Lower umbers again.

No comments: