The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Week of Prayer October 11-13 2023


We had a week of prayer this week. In theory, these come round twice a year in Autumn and Spring. This time we had five prayer meetings - all in person. Two were first thing, one mid morning and two in the evening. We had between four and ten at each meeting (something like a nominal 31 but about 13 of us in fact at different times). We only sang once. I shared leading the meetings with my assistant Eddie. Three Iranians prayed. When it was in Farsi I simply asked for a summary of whathad been prayed. Good to focus on prayer afresh.

No comments: