The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visiting Dad 08

My dad had to go into hospital in the week and so yesterday I was back off down to South Wales once again. I went by car this time, which has its advantages and disadvantages. I left here at 9.30 am and had a straightforward run. I linked up with Gail in Cwmbran for a nice chat and a bit of light lunch in the Marks Spencer cafe. (She has come home from the Carey Conference alone). That was a bonus.
I then headed down to the Royal Gwent to see my dad. He'd move wards and when I finally located his ward I didn't recognise him as he was lying down flat with glasses on (which he never wears normally). He was doing better yesterday than he had on previous days but they really don't know what is wrong and that has to be disturbing. My dad felt more pessimistic about things than he ever has before.
Being in hospital it was easier to read the Bible again - so we had a bit more of Mark's Gospel and I prayed (a bit better than usual we both agreed). Then it was back in the car again.
I listened to the news all day - Bobby Robson soon became lead story (the Welsh radio stations managed to find Welsh people to speak about him, even a Welsh speaker). He was praised by all as a gentleman. The pronunciation of Asberger's syndrom changed I noticed over the day (from a soft to a hard G).
I had a break from the radio with an old tape I found of my (rather scrathced) vinyl versions of Aliens and Man who built America by Horslips. Those later albums are not as good as the early one but have their own charm and keep interest up.
It was good to be back home to Eleri. it's been quiet this week with only two boys at home. We watched the film Rendition.

1 comment:

William Wilson said...

Dear Gary i hope that your Dad will get better soon.And be back at home once again.Will remember you and the family in prayer this week.