The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Creation

After the lectures yesterday I headed off to central London where I had agreed to watch a preview of a new film about Charles Darwin called Creation. I have agreed to review it for Evangelical Times but to be brief, for all its undoubtedly fine cinematographic traits, this is quite powerful propaganda suggesting Darwin was a flawed hero who nevertheless simply sought the truth regardless of consequences. Religion, on the other hand, is often cruel, likely to be weak and afraid , but if it will trust to science all will be well.
After the film I met up with Eleri and we walked down Oxford Street together. We walked over to All Souls, Langham Place, where we spotted a Pizza Express and had a meal together. That's how we celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd been thinking of getting this for our Tuesday afternoon meeting - to show in 2 halves. Now I wonder. Is it really as bad as your first impressions? Any further thoughts on it or should I wait for the ET review?

Gary Brady said...

It would certainly be fine for discussion but the whole thing is loaded against biblical faith.

Unknown said...

Apologies - the one we're getting is "The Voyage that Shook the World" - my mistake! Do you have any thoughts on that one?