The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Why England Lose

I was in Golders Green Library the other day when a new title caught my eye. It's called Why England Lose: and Other Curious Phenomena Explained. It's by a journalist and an economist and is full of fascinating stuff out of left field. My interest in soccer is pretty mild but the well constructed and fascinating collection here kept my interest almost to the very end as it tackled various subjects - beginning with why England lose (too much football, too working class and too insular in general) and going on to penalties, racial discrimination, winning formulae, etc, etc. The side benefits have been impressing my older sons with football facts they don't know and the encouragement to think laterally about my own issues. More here.

No comments: