The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 Texts in John that mention Scripture

1. Joh_2:22 After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken.
2. Joh_7:38 Whoever believes in me, as Scripture has said, rivers of living water will flow from within them."
3. Joh_7:42 Does not Scripture say that the Messiah will come from David's descendants and from Bethlehem, the town where David lived?"
4. Joh_10:35 If he called them 'gods,' to whom the word of God came--and Scripture cannot be set aside--
5. Joh_13:18 "I am not referring to all of you; I know those I have chosen. But this is to fulfill this passage of Scripture: 'He who shared my bread has turned against me.'
6. Joh_17:12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.
7. Joh_19:24 "Let's not tear it," they said to one another. "Let's decide by lot who will get it." This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled that said, "They divided my clothes among them and cast lots for my garment." So this is what the soldiers did.
8. Joh_19:28 Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, "I am thirsty."
9. Joh_19:36 These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled: "Not one of his bones will be broken,"
10. Joh_19:37 and, as another scripture says, "They will look on the one they have pierced."

No comments: