The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 17 2013

Preached yesterday morning from 1 Corinthians 1 and that seminal passage on the centrality of preaching Christ crucified. It was good to go through such fundamental material. In the evening we had communion adn then I preached on Numbers 27. It seemed to me that there were only two things to learn from that chapter so we ended up with an unusually short sermon (20:36 see here). Mind you, I notice that the week before I only preached for 25:32. The norm is over 30, sometimes over 40 minutes. I never really think much about length in preparation. There were a few missing yesterday for various reasons but one or two visitors too, incuding a very nice young man on the staff of one of our local large Pentecostal churches. The church is quite gregarioous but as it belongs to the ecumenical Churches Together (quite apart from other issues) we cannot be in formal fellowship with them.

2 comments:

Liza Burgess said...

Great sermon on Numbers 27. Our God takes care of us on earth, providing for our needs, and more spectacularly has reserved an incorruptible and undefiled inheritance for us in heaven.( I Peter1:4)

Gary Brady said...

Small is beautiful ;-)