The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Welsh Nicknames


I picked up this book by Les Chamberlain in a giftshop and enjoyed reading it today. It is inevitably a fairly personal exploration of the topic with some rather amusing examples. It made me think of ones I have known. In school a boy called Gwilym became Billy Bee, a boy called Chris Davies CD and a boy called Gareth, Gakkers. Our headmaster (still in an academic gown in those days) was known as Boris (from Karloff I assume). Other teachers were Dakkers (from Dilwyn) Jesse (as in Jesse Matthews though her first name was not Jesse) U-ee (a Mr Cook who would begin saying you see and descend to U-ee as the lesson wore on).  A fellow student called Baranski was sometimes referred to as the sledded Polack (see MacBeth). For a short while when a student cowboy names were used - Rocky Rhydderch, Lofty Lloyd, Butch Baranski and Bryn Tin Tin (I was Bronco Burke). My wife told me they used to call a girl Cathy Crimplene and an old friend told me they called a teacher who said right a lot, Lefty.

No comments: