The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day, August 5 2018


I'm not usually present in the church for much of August but the way it's turned out this year I came home from Wales last Friday in order to preach. Being the first Sunday in the month we began with communion - only about eight of us. We got up to around 25 later but were back down to about eight come the evening service. I took texts I have looked at in the past - Luke 11:13 and John 4:24. It was encouraging to have a visitor in the morning who took a copy of Ultimate Questions and seemed to have been helped by the sermon. Someone we met at our recent Meal and Message returned in the evening and that was good too, as was the presence in the morning of three recent new attendees. Some missing, however - not just those away on holidays but others (I know one was working). By my calculations this Sunday marked my having been pastor at the church longer than any previous one (34 years, 9 months, 3 weeks).

No comments: