The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day off week 31 2019


This week's day off on Tuesday was quite people oriented, which is good. Early on I nipped over to Finchley in the car to see if I could help with our good friends moving to Crawley. As it turned out, it was limited what I could do but hopefully I was of some help. In the afternoon I ha a nice long chat with one of my sons on the 'phone. In the evening we had three friends from church around and after an excellent meal (my wife is a brilliant cook - moussaka this time) we enjoyed chatting until not too late. I also enjoyed doing some blogging and made a slight dent into the new Joel Beeke Systematic Theology from Crossway that has come out. I am through Section A of Part 1, the Prolegomena. Great stuff- clear, warm, nuanced, stimulating Scriptural. Managed to get out for a quick coffee and crossword too.

No comments: