The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Days August 11 and 18 2019


So I was sat there on Saturday the tenth finishing off my preparations for the Lord's Day when I realised that my laptop was almost empty of power and the power cord had broken from inside. I tried to do some rescue work but largely unsuccessfully. Thankfully I found another old laptop about the place and was able to get down most of what I wanted from a print out and a memory stick. I then converted my finished document online to mobi format and transferred the sermons to my kindle with a wire. I had to follow this method both Sundays as I was in Aberystwyth in between and could not find anyone to repair my machine.
I managed to get notice sheets for the second Sunday organised by getting my son to scan the sheet from the first Sunday and cutting and pasting on his Apple desktop.
I preached both Sundays on texts and the closing verses of Matthew 26. The first Lord's Day it was 1 Corinthians 15:55-57 and Jesus's trial before Caiaphas and the second, Luke 1:1-4 and Peter's denial. We had decent morning congregations and smaller evening ones both times, though on the second Sunday a member was turning 30 and her visiting family meant some extras. We sang happy birthday to her after the morning meeting. On the first Lord's Day we sang the first two hymns unaccompanied. Someone volunteered to play for the second two which was probably for the best. On both Sundays we had a minister from South Africa present who is in hospital nearby. (A deacon got him the first time and I weaved through the crowds going to the cricket to get him the second time).
We had communion the second week - just five or six of us present. The first Sunday we had five children present and I spoke to them about sanctification (fourth and final one in a series). The second Sunday we were down to one but I started a new series on what Jesus became and why (he became poor so that we who believe might be rich). People missing both times but visitors too.

No comments: