The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Gracelife Summer Institute 2019 Day 4


The final day of the Steadfast Conference at Grace Life was a bit different in some ways. The first session featured Rick Holland on 1 Peter 2 and the call to be aliens and strangers in this world. Excellent. This was followed by an impromptu prayer time before the break. I then spoke on The Great Ejection 1662. I looked at three men - Thomas Manton, Joseph Alleine and Philip Henry - and mentioned others. That seemed the best way to go at it. The message was appreciated by many. I spoke afterwards to a Dan Pugh who told me about a new documentary he has filmed with Philip H Eveson on Henry's son Matthew. See here for more. After lunch Phil Johnson spoke from Hebrews 10:21 on the powerful, penetrating and precise Word of God. I was always taught that the verse referred to the preached Word which was implied though not stated. Interestingly Owen saw it as a reference to Christ the incarnate Word. Paul Washer then spoke in his typical forthright way. Then came a question panel, which I was involved in. I seemed slightly out of kilter with the others but may be that is just my perception. Over all I felt in line with these men although may be there was a fundamentalist and premillennial message in there that I would find hard to fully sign up to. I missed the last session of the conference as I needed to back home. What a privilege to have sat with these men of God and to have heard them and to have met so many believers present to hear. A great foru days. Next year it will be on the church.

No comments: