The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 15 2019

An odd thing happened last Sunday morning. I preached on Paul's speech to the Jews in the Temple in Acts 22 and in my manuscript wrote "thankfully this sermon has not been interrupted" (as was Paul's). When I wrote it I did think "we'll see". You guessed it. Near the beginning of the sermon a local character I have mentioned here before popped in and started a conversation with me about football. (It has happened before but not to this extent). Anyway when you've been preaching for 45 years you have an idea how to deal with things and we managed to get through it. The whole service was a joy as was the evening meeting, looking at Jesus and Barabbas. We had a decent turn out morning and evening - the congregation swollen by visitors, including some of my own family, and a number of seminary students deciding where they will worship this year. I'm not sure how it will all pan out but as there are 21 children on site this year we may have a significant number joining us, which would be great. This Sunday four children were away but I had five children to speak to (the last in the series of what Jesus' became -  this time curse). Glad to have a man back who has been away several weeks after falling down. Loved the singing today - we sang some good old fashioned hymns and it was a good day a round despite three or four people being away for no reason I know.

No comments: