The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christmas 2023


We've had a pretty good Christmas here. All the boys were back home at one point or another and the grandchildren. We also had Eleri's father and his wife with us Chrsitmas Day. I persuaded everyone to buy me one big present rather than individual ones and so I enjoyed reading from the Oxford handbook, an academic book looking at all aspects of Christmas. (One son broke rank and also got me a book on Charlemagne but I'm not complaining and another some coffee beans). Large amounts of food, some TV and a few games also featured and a good time was had by all. The coffee machine let us down rather but we bought an aeropress and that got us through.

No comments: