The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Evangelical Library Lecture Samuel Davies Part 2


Last Monday I gave the second part of my zoom lectue on Samuel Davies and his trip to this country in 1754. Even though I was only trying to deal with half the trip, the part that took him outside London, it was still beyond me and we had to give a rather scrappy account of the East Anglian leg of the journey. Hopefully there was something there for the 20-30 who tuned in. It should be on our Evangelical Library YouTube channel soon and I will endeavour to publish much of the two lectures in In Writing. This extract covers part of his time in Northampton
On August 9 Davies rode to Northampton. Conscious that Doddridge had ministered here Davies felt the town now had a desolate and melancholy look. “The dear remembrance of him engaged my tender thoughts as I rode along, and threw me into pensive melancholy. How much has my mission suffered by his death! I think I never felt such friendly sensations towards an entire stranger.” He called on Doddridge's successor, Robert Gilbert (1708-1760) but found him in company. In conversing with Gilbert the next day, he found there was but little prospect of success for fundraisers in Northampton, the people being lately put to very great expense about their own affairs. He visited the illustrious James Hervey (1714-1758), rector at nearby Weston Favell, and spent most of the day in endearing conversation with him. He notes “I have observed that when I have contracted personal acquaintance with great authors, they have seldom answered the idea I had formed of them from their writings but Hervey greatly exceeded it. The spirit of devotion animates his conversation and the greatest modesty and delicacy of imagination adorns it. The Scriptures are his favourite topic and he charms one with his remarks upon their beauties. He also frequently throws out some pertinent quotation from the Latin and Greek classics, of which he is an excellent master. Blessed be God that there is such a man on this guilty globe.” On the Sunday, Davies preached in Doddridge's pulpit. “The sight of his monument with a very significant inscription, struck my mind with uncommon energy.” The congregation had decreased since Doddridge's death though Davies was not aware that Gilbert preached anything different. He drank tea with Doddridge's widow, “for whom I found a greater friendship than I could decently express.” He was prevailed upon to preach in the evening (Isaiah 66:2). Many gave him the warmest expression of their satisfaction and seemed quite revived. He spent the rest of the evening in conversation with Gilbert (“naturally grave and reserved”) and his assistant, William Warburton.

The next soom lecture will be Dr Densham on Calvin and worship on February 26

No comments: