The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day September 6 2026


I was preaching this last Lord's Day at Christ Covenant Church here in Melbourne. The church meets in an upstairs space that is just rght for them at the moment. Mostly younger people, there were aboout 80 there and most stayed for most of the day, which began around 10.15 and went on to late afternoon with some six segments - prayer time, morning service, lunch, afternoon Sunday School, final service, communion. Others led the services which are quite liturgical but I preached in the morning from Romans 8 on the three groans and the pastor, Josh Gurango preached in the evening from 1 Corinthians 12, part of a series. I also gave a lesson on the conscience in the afternoon. Communion, a weekly event, involved not one large cup nor lots of little ones but something in between. It is interesting that all three churches I have preached at here in Australia jave been so different.

No comments: