The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Aber life




Continuing to enjoy myself here in Aberystwyth. Thursday was very sunny but today has proved cooler and it may yet rain. The household was swollen a little more yesterday with the arrival of my other (6 months pregnant) sister-in-law with her husband, who had to head back to Wiltshire early today.
Several went yesterday afternoon to the production of the musical West-side Story here in Aber (directed by Michael Bogdanov). I’m not a fan of musicals so I decided to duck out. This particular musical (now 50 years old) has recently captured my sons’ imagination. Dylan was introduced to it in school and then found a DVD of it in the house (I’d bought it the other Christmas for Eleri who likes musicals). They just loved it and can sing ‘When you’re a jet …’ with the best of them. They all really enjoyed the production.
Then tonight we went down to the south pier and did some crancota (crab-fishing), although with little success. It’s a regular activity here in Aber. It was a beautiful evening with everyone out, including a group of canoeists and some orthodox Jews from a party we see in Aber every summer (coming from Golders Green it’s home from home for some of us).
With the men pretty absent (Glyn and Rhodri on camp, Ian now back in Wiltshire, Keith in Iraq, Geoff in the study) I didn’t join the women and children in the playground in Nant Yr Arian this morning or the Pwll Nofio (swimming pool) this afternoon. Instead I’ve been reading Warfield on the Westminster Assembly and its work for a series of lectures I’m hoping to attend soon. I also came across a cheap CD of Bacharach and David songs in a charity shop, which was good serendipity, having just finished the Bacharach biography.
Being in Aber is a real joy. I first came here as a student and by now it’s like a second home to me. I like many things about it – its compactness, its shops, the sea, etc. May be if I lived here my Welsh would be better. This year I’ve noticed a new phrase ‘Y fangre hon’ everywhere (these premises) owing to the new legislation on smoking. I also spotted ‘Marchnas Deg’ (Fair trade) something I’d not seen before.
Tonight we watched the chairing of the new bard on TV (a minister who has also written for a soap opera - only in Wales). I enjoyed responding saying 'heddwch' (peace) again - it reminded me of school days and shouting it rather raucously. Then before the kids went off to bed we played their favourite silly game - consequences. Mae'n hwyl.

2 comments:

Alan said...

Hey ! You had posh school eisteddfods. We never shouted "Heddwch !" in my school.

I watched a documentary of Bernstein conductin a recording of West Side Story with (get this) Kiri Te Kanawa as Maria, the Puerto-Rican girl and José Carreras as Tony, the American boy. What a mistake that casting was ! Perhaps they did it for a laugh. But the documentary was ace - and a few years ago Pat bought it for me on DVD. Classic !

Gary Brady said...

Tho' almost in England I recall it was Juniors: draw a daff, leek or dragon then half a day off; Grammar: 2 days (!) of eisteddfod inc chairing of the bard (all in English except that bit). Those were the days (my friend)!

Some people simply can't sing in a popular style. Sadly, Dame Kiri is one.