The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Barnet Bank Holiday




I was up and out fairly early this morning even though it was a bank holiday. And what should I see on the pretty deserted Finchley Road but a traffic warden booking cars parked on the single yellow line there. I pay £40 a year for the privilege of simply parking on my street. They (or was that tfL) also had £40 off me when one bank holiday I strayed into a bus lane. I have long suspected that Barnet (like others) are mainly interested in making money. Evidence like this only confirms my worst fears.
On their website they say that they do enforce parking restrictions on Bank Holidays but they also say
The council introduces various parking management measures such as parking places and waiting restrictions in order to:
ease congestion caused by inconsiderate parking
help with road safety
assist disabled users of vehicles
provide parking for specific users (such as residents, businesses, or blue badge holders)
increase the turnover of parking to help visitors, clients of businesses, and shoppers to park
provide facilities for loading and unloading
I think it is pretty obvious that none of these purposes were being served in this case.

No comments: