The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Cinema Lectures


Yesterday was our 19th anniversary. (Penblwydd Priodas hapus mawr i ti fy nghariad i). Eleri is clear proof, it seems to me, that despite my many faults I can't be an utter disaster. She is my best asset by far. We went off to the pictures for a treat. (Yes, I am spending too much money and time in the cinema). We saw The Bourne Ultimatum. We're not great fans of action movies but we enjoyed the last one (Bourne Supremacy) and there is enough humanity in Bourne (the apparent killing machine that is Bourne is really a warm human being) to raise it above mere action. Cleverly Bourne is both the little man (hounded by the powerful machine that is the CIA) and superman (you know he's going to win in the end). Without giving too much away to find that he was all the while the great 1970s Chelsea full back David Webb was quite a plot twist, worthy of the greatest on film.

Meanwhile I've been attending the superb lectures by Chad Van Dixhoorn (centre in pic)on the Westminster Assembly. From his vast and intimate knowledge Cambridge based Canadian Chad has been sharing with us his insights into one of the greatest synods in the history of man. it's a privilege to be there. Tomorrow he's taking us down to Westminster Abbey - another treat.

PS If anyone has possibly tried to access my Benjamin Beddome or Richard Bernard blogs recently blogger have had them offline for a while (suspected of being spam blogs but wholly innocent I assure you). I haven't added to them in a while but hope to do so soon.

1 comment:

Family Blogs said...

Happy anniversary to you both! And thanks for the heads up on the Bourne Ultimatum - we're hoping to go and see it on Friday night with my brother and sister in law. We were off last week and did some revision by watching the first two films on DVD. Pretty good stuff, with the superb backdrop of beautiful European cities.