The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

River still running


The busyness continues. This week I am auditing lectures at the John Owen Centre on the atonement from Garry Williams of Oak Hill. We started today on the Fathers and Calvin. Very interesting. There's one other auditor and 8 MTh-ers.
Yesterday was very full, of course. I preached to quite a large multi-national congregation in the morning on the end of Mark 2/beginning of Mark 3 and to a much smaller one on most of Hebrews 2 in the evening. So the Sabbath and Christ's work of redemption.
On Saturday we had one of our periodic clean ups at the chapel. A few of our Korean friends were helping so we were in double figures. We made some definite progress. It was nice to have chips together at lunch time and some went on to play football later - though not me as I was busy preparing for Sunday. I saw a bit of the England game and then settled down to watch the main feature just before 5 pm. Well, you know the result! Eleri was out for the evening with friends so I did some minimalist baby sitting for the youngest ones. Gwion had been out for a sleepover with a school friend. The two older boys went to bed early - whacked out because they are now doing a double paper round each. Rhodri the eldest was out elsewhere. He'd had his RADA audition in the morning.
Friday had been very busy too. I was lecturing at EMF Welwyn in the morning - on the JWs and the Mormons. I dashed from there to a committee meeting for Grace Publications. I missed most of the session with the new man at Evangelical Press (our distributors) but was in for the rest and gladly received my complimentary copy of the new biography of William Carey by John Appleby I can plod. From there it was on home and then out for the children's meeting and then the young people's meeting. We had just under 20 for the first then over 20 for the next. We are looking at the life of Elijah and it was Naboth's vineyard tonight. I had to leave a little early as Eleri and I were off to a quiz night at friends to raise funds for the Welsh School [no website at present]. (We raised over £150). I was in the winning team. I think knowing not only that Far from the madding crowd was by Thomas Hardy but also that the line is from Gray's Elegy written in a Country Church Yard clinched a closely fought contest.
The snag with busyness is that prayer can so easily be squeezed out. What care is needed.

1 comment:

dissertation writing said...

good one blog.....
dissertation writing
Best academic dissertation writing services, we do writing, editing and proof reading for all level of education including PhD and Doctoral.