The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Penblwydd Pumdeg



It was the London Welsh School's sports day last Friday (Y Mabolgampau). I missed it last year as I'd booked myself into a day of conference in St Helen's. It was combined with a party for the children marking the fiftieth anniversary of the school. The sports (weirdly) were on astroturf. My two boys were in the losing white team. Being a small school the competitors were often mismatched but no-one minded too much. Gwion excelled in throwing the welly. Very impressive.
The children's party included a proper entertainer (Papalarny) who was very good and much enjoyed. Gwion doesn't think I'm funny any more. There was also cake and food to eat and the singing of Penblwydd Hapus to the school!
We were home in time to grab a bite to eat and then out for our clubs at church. Ali, one of our deacon's wives, spoke at the younger ones and her son Pieter kindly agreed to speak to the older ones so I didn't have too much to do.
Most of the family went off for a school barbecue and fundraiser on Saturday. They used to have the sports at that event but as I'd done my paternal duty the day before I skipped the barbecue.

No comments: