The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Seion Ealing Green


I preached today in Ealing Green Welsh Presbyterian Church near Ealing studios. It is one of a tiny handful of Welsh speaking churches still left in London. I didn't attempt to preach in Welsh but we sang in Welsh and I at least tried to give my text in Welsh. We know several people there through the Welsh School connection. Most of the mothers headed out to Sunday School before I preached. They were practising something on Moses for the eisteddfod. It's hard to know what to make of the whole phenomenon or how best to handle it. I preached from Isaiah 1:18 and hope it made an impact. I would think others go and do the same sort of thing.

3 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

What phenomenon? Half the congregation walking out before your sermon? Happens to me all the time!

;-)

Gary Brady said...

Sorry I've tried to make myself clearer in a second attempt without being too blunt. There was just something lacking.

Jonathan Hunt said...

I understand now!