The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

John Blanchard

I was in the Evangelical Library the other day and I saw the latest Day One Travel With publication and took it to read. It's by Brian Edwards and is on John Blanchard - the first time a living person has been covered, I believe. John was born in Guernsey, lived in the Highlands and has travelled the UK and the world so he should fit the bill.

I was familiar with some of John Blanchard's story though there was plenty new to me. It was interesting to read about his call to Westminster Chapel and to ponder what might have been. Remarkably in 1982, aged 50, he got baptised by immersion. The statement that he is not one for small talk explained the awkwardness I had observed on the very few occasions our paths have crossed. The book does get slightly tedious in parts as yet further ports of call are listed but it is a fascinating book. One other piece of trivia I gleaned was the fact that Sam Ryder (as in Ryder cup) was a Christian (a member at Spicer Street, St Alban's).

There are now 18 such Travel Guides - 5 themed (Cambridge, Oxford, Israel, British Museum, Martyrs in Mary Tudor's time) and 13 on individuals.

No comments: