The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Manic Week


Pretty manic week. Monday and Tuesday it was committees - three of them, including an all day and very full LTS Board meeting. I should have been at a fourth committee in the evening but thankfully I'd completely forgotten. They coped without me.
Wednesday it was meetings - midweek meeting in the evening where we looked at the last chapter of Deuteronomy. In the afternoon I was in the BUPA home I regularly visit on Genesis 3:1-15. The morning was pretty unusual. I spoke at the harvest service in the school my youngest son attends - on the parable of the sower. My Welsh is not great but we managed. Only really sticky moment was when one boy was confused over the word "drain" which he took in the English way whereas in Welsh it is used for thorns (pron: drine).
Thursday night was a church members meeting which went off okay. During the day I was busy with practical work - putting up a new curtain rail downstairs and assembling a new bedstead upstairs. Our old bed was being held up on one corner by a pile of books so it's good to get that sorted.
Friday was quieter with only the clubs in the evening to attend to. Rather a poor turn out to the older group sadly. Watched the film Duplicity when I got in with Clive Owen and Julia Roberts. I think it was supposed to be clever and funny but we just didn't get it. Pretty useless film really but passed the time.
PS I haven't had my camera out this week. The pic was taken a week or two back when conkers were all that mattered.

No comments: